Love God. Love People
The history of First Presbyterian Church parallels that of Hutchinson. Early pioneers from eight Christian denominations had been meeting in a butcher shop on Main Street. On Sunday, July 28, 1872, they voted to organize as the First Presbyterian Church of Hutchinson. The town was incorporated a few weeks later on August 15, 1872.
C.C. Hutchinson was the first contributor to the new congregation. He donated the property at the corner of Sherman and Poplar. Contributions for this Presbyterian mission on the Kansas prairie came from as far away as Watertown, New York. As the town grew, the congregation also grew. By 1886, membership had reached to 200 people with a treasury of $237.66.
Having outgrown the wood frame church , they sold it and its contents for $600 and began construction on the beautiful stone building in which the congregation still worships.
The church has undergone seven major expansions and renovations since then. But our true growth has been as a community of faith. Since 1872, FPC Hutchinson has been a faithful witness in the community. Mindful of our beginning as a mission, we are deeply involved in the mission of sharing the Gospel throughout the world. Our membership remains committed disciples of Christ through worship study, outreach and fellowship. As we continue to grow, there is a place for you here, too. Come grow with us!